View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
KevinH1990

I have owned a 2000 Boxster for about two years. I bought it with 30k on it and I'm now at 45k. While it has not had any major failures, it has required more repairs than I expected for such a low mileage car. (I had spent quite a bit of time on this and other forums prior to the purchase, so while I knew what to expect I'm still a little disappointed with the overall reliability of the car.)
The problems I have had include:
1. Mass Air Flow sensor
2. Oxygen sensor
3. Broken lid on "oddments tray" (center console bin)
4. Various problems with the evaporative system

I think Ofishbein makes a good point about buying a used car from a relative. Unless you are extremely fortunate and avoid major repairs, you need to think how you will react every time the car needs a repair. If it is going to affect your relationship, buy from a total stranger.

$15,000 may be a fair price, but you could buy a 2000 with 30,000 miles for a price in the high teens to low-twenties. The car you describe does have some nice options. If the top is in good shape, the maintenance is up to date and it doesn't need new tires then it might be a reasonable deal. Check prices of cars that sold on eBay for a better idea of actual sale prices than the asking prices you are seeing on AutoTrader. The market for Boxsters seem soft to me, and your relative may not be aware of current values.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote