View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
23109VC

2000 boxster - loaded, 72k $15k - Good deal?

My dad is selling his 2000 boxster.

72k miles
5 speed
Ocean Blue, black leather
18" wheels
Factory upgraded 030 suspension package -- not sure exactly what it's called, but it rides STIFF and corners FLAT..
Full leather upgraded interior
heated seats
upgraded to "S" style 3 spoke wheel w/ crest
cleared rear/side lenses

car is off warranty. he is the second owner, the first owner had it up to about 25k and then bought an "S" boxster..had ALL records, locally serviced by the porsche dealer..car had rear main seal leak and had new motor installed around 15k or so...

i have driven it a handful of times. runs great. no obvious problems.

aside from the issues of buying a used car from a family member...there is the added incentive that it's my dad, he just wants to sell it b/c he's buying a newer car, and he would probably cut me a sweet deal. he'd also offer to take it to the dealer, have it inspected, and any all repairs suggested be done before I bought it.

he thought he would sell it privately for $15k. I could just give him 15k if that's a terrific deal..but bottom line is he would sell it to me for whatever it's really "worth" and then cut me a discount.

i have gone onto autotrader and cars.com but it's really hard to assess prices b/c there are so many option packages...and so no two cars are the same.

his car is NOT an S model, so that's a drawback - as I'm a sports car junkie and woud probably love the extra power of an S. i've never driven an S model. although his particular car had quite a few options on it, so for a BASE model, it's pretty nice. the wheels, suspesnion, leather interior are all very nice and make for an exceptionally nice handling car - the steering wheel is a nice touch you don't see on the older base model cars...

he's maintained the car at the local porsche dealer since he's owned it. under warranty he also got a totally new convertible top and a new dash. he complained that the top had some "scuffs" and so did the dash..so they got him all new stuff. wow. that was all under warranty. so the interior looks really nice, as does the roof...

not sure if $15k is really a "smokin" deal for a car like this or if i should gently push for a slightly lower price. it's awkward when it's family... i have reservations about buying used from him since there's always that chance of buying it, the motor blows up, and then he/I feel bad... but given how close we are... i don't think that would be an issue. that's a risk with any used car, and i like his car. i always beg to drive it and can't stop smiling when I am behidn the wheel.

i'd probably like an S better...but i'd want it to have the 18s, the cool suspension setup like his car, heated seats...and to get THAT car, might cost quite a bi tmore. i'm price sensitive in that this is a third car that I"m not going to drive all the time and if I could get him to sell his car to me for say $12k.... i'd be saving quite a bit of money... vs buying my dream "S" used for 20 something....

basically i'm tryign to figure out what a "fair" price is for the car. then I can work out with him what a "great" deal is for ME.

anyone care to help us out who knows pricing on these things?
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote