View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
Whoah.... too late LB - my nervous system is already shot now, and I can't imagine the spousal scorn on the way should this be expensive (she's already not happy with what I paid).

Unfortunately, I didn't buy the car from Porsche Dealership and do think I have much recourse with those guys from CA. Part of the contract was "As Is".

I'm not hugely mechanical, but what I don't get is why the dipstick reads that I'm full of oil - where the sensors are saying otherwise? Ever heard of just the oil sensor having the issue??
Yea, it's possible the oil sensor went wacky, but that's not likely to explain the presence of oil on the floor - it could if the sender was leaking, just not likely.

You say you bought it from a non-porsche dealer. Did they do the repair work?

If so, it may confirm my suspicions that the repairs were faulty - especially where the RMS is concerned. It's not like replacing most camshaft seals. There are special tools necessary to both diagnose the problem and repair the seal, something a non-porsche dealer is unlikely to have at it's disposal, or know anything about. For one thing, the new seal must be recessed 2mm deeper than the old seal (13mm deep instead of 11mm) to insure that any ridge or burrs created by the first seal on the crankshaft doesn't damage the new seal and so the new seal has virgin cankshaft material on which to seal properly, not usually a requirement on any other brand camshaft seal replacement.

As I said, everything here is speculation. An oil pressure fault indicator is serious enough to warrant not running the engine until it gets sorted. Without proper pressure and flow, it doesn't take many minutes and you've got serious internal damage.

I wish your initial Porsche experience wasn't marred by this, but it'll get better.

Have it towed to someone competent enough to diagnose the problem and keep your spirits up.

The issue could be relatively minor, but it's not worth running the car until you know for sure. Best of Luck and keep us posted.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-23-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote