View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
mn box s

I too have the same problemo. I also had the exact thing happen on my audi. My push is black rubberized my audi was beige rubberized. I'm going to do this fix for my push soon. Yes, lacquer and such is bad. It can ruin the plastic and bring old solvents up so it can never be properly painted. This job sucks but here it goes yall. take off all parts to be repaired/ painted. Get good 3m auto sand paper. By hand use 80 grit and get that rubber stuff off. Some serious elbow grease! once you get the rubber off then switch to 180 grit and get the under coating for the rubber off you will see this in layers. once that is off switch to 220 grit and start to get the sand scratches out then 320 grit then 400 grit, get all the edges and nooks and crannies. Close your eyes and feel the part it should be smooth and no noticeable bumps. Now with rubber gloves on use wax and grease remover with clean shop towels. Let dry. The part may look a little fuzzy that is fine aslong as there are no deep 80 grit or 180 grit scratches. The rubber gloves should be worn the whole time so sand paper doesn't rub off your fingers and you don't get hand oil on the parts. The biggest thing is an auto body secret before you prime use a product called Bulldog. It is an adherent for primer and paint on difficult surfaces. It will even let paint stick to glass! Prime 2-3 coats let sit for a couple of days to allow shrinkage. Sand in stages 180/220/320/400/600 FOLLOW THESE STEPS! Paint to match exterior. Clear coat with flex additive is recommended bake parts at lowest paint both bake temp parts should be fine, as our cars get hot in the sun in the summer anyway. After baking let parts sit for a week @ room temp before installing. This is a long process and should be done by auto body pro's. I have done many interiors this way and never a chip flake or problem. All I can say is Bulldog,flex add. and bake clear and you will be happy. Maybe print this out and take to body shop so they know what you want done. Exactly. They may even warranty this. Oh one last thing to mention if you are a religious armoraller you need to wax and grease remove the parts first! Needs to be very clean in all little places!
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)

Last edited by mn box s; 03-21-2008 at 10:06 AM.
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote