View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #67
RandallNeighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Unless you are going to keep your car for 150,000 to 200,000 miles, who cares?
Please remind me never to buy a used Porsche from you

I am planning to keep my car well past 200,000 miles as I cannot afford a newer or new one. So this attitude doesn't work for me from any angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
With just the Porsche recommended maintenance you can drive these cars hard for at least that long... It's a toy, enjoy it!
My 2.5 motor only lasted 79k, and measuring the condition of the car when I got it at 82k, those were 79k hard miles. It appears that all the maintenance was done on the car too from records I've come across. The new motor (not reconditioned) that was put in the car and only had a couple of thousand miles on it now has 25k after three years of spirited weekend driving.

I replaced the tranny two years ago for suspect noises in 1st and 2nd gear at low rpm.

I would not be surprised if during my ownership of this car, with meticulous maintenance and replacement of every single thing I can find that is wearing or worn, I will have to put a third motor in it. Of course, it will be a 3.4 or 3.6, but nevertheless, I might not get 200k out of this new motor with the intermediate shaft failures that still occur in newer Porsche engines.

Paul, you have a good attitude about your car... it is indeed a rich man's toy for sure!
I drive my car like I stole it a lot of the time and run it up to redline most every time I put the key in the ignition. I just don't keep it above 4,000 rpm all the time because I want to keep my existing motor running for at least another 100,000 miles.

I think there's two schools of thought about sports car ownership. Those like yourself who enjoy the car to its full limits and might be harder on the motor than one who buys a car to own for 20+ years. I'm that second kind of guy by virtue of my personal financial situation and my growing satisfaction of fixing up an old car that has my fingerprints on most every part of the car as the years go by.

I guess my take on this thread is this: The motor is designed to be revved right up to redline and it does blow carbon out of the motor ... and the sound is glorious at redline. Conversely, if one keeps the revs up all the time, he or she will be replacing the motor sooner than later.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote