Thread: $415
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
70Sixter

Hops has some good tactics I use in conjunction with my RX-65. I can only add that I also try to keep a "rabbit" out well in front of me. He'll trigger any instant-on radars.

Then I drive from one pack of cars past the next pack being really careful if I don't have somebody out in front.

You have to watch your mirrors for vehicles closing faster that you are going. Could just be somebody using the same tactic. Mebbe not. I slow either way until I get confirmation.

About X-band. Last week my RX-65 alerted on X-band. Was a deputy sheriff in the median. I slowed and watched his tactics. Apparently knowing he was broadcasting halfway to S Carolina he'd let a few cars pass in the opposite lane. Then he'd blast the traffic. He got one as I watched. Then he was going the opposite direction as I returned from my errand. I don't believe there is an instant-on X-band, so not sure how he did it. Maybe the silent periods were the radar warming up?

I never worry about weak X-band because it is usually an automatic door opener or burglar alarm. If it starts to get stronger there is plenty of time to slow down. Strong (all red lites on and beeeepbeeeeep etc) X-band has always been radar. Always.

Based on my observations, small towns and deputies still seem to use X-band. That said, small towns are places I NEVER speed. Tickets are a revenue source they cherish.

One other observation. When I've been hit by instant-on I've usually heard a faint beep followed in seconds by blaaaaap. So I brake hard for weak K or Ka unless my rabbit is way out in front.

One more....pick-up trucks and SUVs (as someone mentioned) are killers. I saw two unmarked p/u trucks in South Carolina making a fortune working I-95 near GA border.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote