View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
RandallNeighbour

Porschekid:

1. Believe it or not, Discount Tire is not a bad place to go as they have dozens of bins of lug nuts for expensive european rims like we have. And they're cheap! I paid $1.50 a lug nut just last week. Check them out.

2. Nope, you can't tint your back window with film or it will peel and crack immediately.

Here's some additional advice from a Boxster owner that you didn't ask for:

3. I've found that my boxster's wheels get out of balance very, very easily. So, I bought the lifetime balancing thing from Discount and have them do it every couple of months.

4. Boxster's tires are not easily rotated because the fronts and backs are different sizes. Also, many brands are unidirectional, which means you can't swap the mounted tires from passenger to driver's side, unless you do what I'm now doing. One way to make a set of expensive rubber last a little longer is to take them to a tire shop (like Discount Tire) and ask them to take the rubber off the rims and—noting which side they came from—mount them on the opposite side of the car.

5. Oil Changes: It takes quite a long time for the oil to seep into throughout the engine. You'll certainly need 9 quarts of synthetic oil in it, but don't add more just because the stick is showing low... it takes an hour or so for it to drain fully into the pan where the stick reads it. I will not get back into the debate over what weight of synthetic oil to use... I use the 0w-40 as recommended by Porsche Engineers and the factory...just remember that you MUST use synthetic or you'll gum up that engine badly.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote