View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
CT986S

My 2 cents...
Bose head units and speakers are designed to go together - and the wiring they use is a small gauge(bigger number-smaller gauge). Therefore I am assuming you are changing head units as well.

You kind of imply you are replacing the wiring and asked about the polarity of the wires. Any decent new wires will be marked, even bulk wire.
However, from the question it seems you may try using the Bose wires. Everything I have read says it is HIGHLY recommended you install new wires if not using Bose speakers. Thicker, heavier gauge wires will allow much better bass especially if you add a big amp. It would seem that adding more copper (meaning thicker - not longer) would add more resistance, but that is not the case. Extremely thin wires will constrict the sound.

But to get back to the other question:
Generally speaking the switching of the + and - wires won't hurt the system or your speakers. It will imact the sound in that the speaker with the incorrect wiring will be out of phase. That may not be an issue in a convertible sports car, but would most certainly be audible in a good home system.

Like I said, just my 2 cents from years in the Miata community where people have been discussing the pros and cons of the Bose system. YRMV.

Kevin
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote