View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #19
DIAZ

A tiptronic transmission in a porsche cannot be compared to a sequential manual, or other f1 style gearboxes such as the ferrari or lambo, except for the cambiocorsa in the maseratis which is jujst terrible. A tiptronic porsche gearbox is an automatic transmission with better electronic technology that allows you to override the auto and make it go into a a gear you select. A porsche tip is better than a regular automatic gearbox becuase it has such technology as sensers and servos that detect if you are in a corner so it wont shift gears and you will lose the torque and power, which would make you lose the grip. If you are looking for an automatic that allows you to downshift into curves and hold the gears go for a tiptronic, but if you really want to puch the car and feel why a porsche is a drivers car go for the manual. The boxster just handles so well with its mid engine and near to perfect weight distribution, that its only flaw is that its underpowered for the potential it has. This is why porsches top of the line car, the Carrera GT is a mid engine supercar. Once you really start driving the boxster you will see how glad you were you got it in manual. I have seen boxsters with a 3.4 996 engine woop all other 911's around the track. I am in the same position as you, I want to buy a boxster, it just handles so well. So look for a low mileage one with a service history and if you can run a paint check to make sure that it has all original paint. A car with all original paint means the car has never had any paintwork done, so the body has never been damaged. While all the used car dealers tell you the car is carfax certified, if possible get an 120 point inspection from a porsche dealer for about 200 dollars, but then you'll be able to separate a perfect car from one that needs work done to it, because fixing up a box would be pretty expensive.
DIAZ is offline   Reply With Quote