View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
jimnosweat

We had a 75k dealer service (in Roseville, no complaints) about 2,ooo miles ago, and shortly after we bought the car. I don't drive it a lot (cause I don't drive alot anyway). Some short amount of driving ago, the red light next to the temp gauge began to blink. Blinked a little while and then stopped. Looking in the owner's manual, I learned I needed to add coolant and I did and the problem went away. For a while. Mind you, the guage never showed any change in operating temperature. I wasn't too worried.
Yesterday, right at the freeway offramp into B'zerkeley, I hit something I didn't see in the road, no idea what it was but hit hard enough I pulled into a gas station and peered best I could underneath and didn't see anything untoward. I decided to check the coolant. The car still didn't show any signs of overheating, but as we got back on the road, little red oil can icon lit up. We were only a block or so from our destination and looking for a parking spot when the temp gauge went all the way to hot and that red indicator came on.
About thirty seconds after that I heard a muffled pop from behind me and the engines died. White smoke. Oil filler cap blown off and ugly emulsified oil splashed around in the corner...

Thanks again for the link.
jimnosweat is offline   Reply With Quote