View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #42
Hops

Regarding the Bose system, I have one in my '05 987S. I am also a home theater junkie and have pretty nice gear in the basement. My goal in a car is to have a system that is good enough, and the Bose system is good enough.

As with most Bose products I've heard, there are some really bizarre gaps and hotspots in the frequency response. Specifically, the bass response of this system is odd. While the upper range and extreme lower range of the bass is a bit weak, there is a lower to mid part of the bass range that is overemphasized (driven by the subwoofer, I assume). I find that I have to mess with the bass level a lot (anywhere from +1 to +8) depending on the song.

Likewise, the treble comes off a bit hot in parts of the range, and it sounds a bit tinny. I rarely turn the treble level above zero and sometimes back it off a bit.

Those limitations aside, the system has a reasonably good front image (I fade to the rear by about three clicks for the best overall image) and it gets reasonably loud without distorting. On the whole it is better than the stock system in a few other cars I've owned, and given that I have the radio off over half the time anyway, it isn't worth a lot of money and tearing into the car to make it better.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote