View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #33
mikefocke

Hundreds available

When I want to know what a reasonable price will be for a car (a question I get asked perhaps every other day as people read my guide to buying a Boxster) I immediately do the following...

I go to www.cars.com (only because it is both national and because it has a good search engine that allows me to locate only a specific model year).

I use their advanced search of used cars.

I pick my Porsche Boxster and model year and add that I want to see "all" miles from my zip code. I want to see the pricing all over the country to get the largest sample.

When I do that, I could get well over a thousand Boxsters of all model years or generally 100+ of any given year. So when I say there are hundreds available, there are many hundreds because cars.com is only one of the advertising sites, there must be a dozen others and, while there is some duplication, there are cars unique to each site.

So yes there are hundreds of Boxsters out there for sale right now.

I then throw out the 5 highest and the 5 lowest prices. That leaves me with a middle range...it omits the cars with the halo effect (its mine so it must be worth more), those where the dealer has too much invested in the car, and those with some history problem such that they are being dumped.

Once I figure out the mid range, I look at where a specific car is located. The prices posted are asking prices. But who pays asking price? You expect a bigger discount during a time when there will be no local buyers for convertibles because the weather is just too cold. But you always expect some discount...say 5 to 10% lower than asking. 15% in the winter unless that has already been priced in.

Porsche cars are ones most people own until their circumstances change. They get married, get divorced, have kids, lose their job, get deployed, etc. So there are always more cars for sale than other makes. Both of mine were 2-owner-before-me cars with the average ownership being 18 months. Both had been owned in multiple states. Both have been lots of fun and few problems.

One I bought in the first blush of spring. One I first saw when it was covered with snow and salt and I had to move the snow shovel to even sit in the passenger seat. Guess which one I got the better deal on.

I recommend stopping someone who owns one and asking them if they know of any cars or local sources. Look in the local classifieds or craigslist.org. Drive a few. Then decide.

Last edited by mikefocke; 02-13-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling/typo
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote