View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
hjkim550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V
Ok I'm a newbie here so I am going to put on my flame suit here and open my mouth. I can see that desnorkling the Boxster is a popular mod here. I would never do mine. You are not getting anymore air into the engine, and the air you are getting is now hot, being brought in from the engine bay. These cars are already suffering from not tnough octain, why would anybody, want to compound that with hot air? Cold air=denser air=more hp. If anybody has acces to a dyno, you will see. All this mod does is make a new sound, and increase the use of the knock sensors.
Sorry but I just had to say something.
Flame away.
Hey Rick,

You are correct. Desnorkling is a popular topic. The one that I found most informative and entertaining was the hot debate between MNBoxster and Bisimoto. The thread was titled "Finally: Dyno charts of desnorkled 986S". Bisimoto races extensively and actually has his own dyno. To date he has about 21 runs of his 2001 986S with the snorkle on and off. He found a small increase in HP with the snorkle off. MNBoxster and Bisimoto has a very extensive and informed debate regarding the actual performance testing and the effects of intake and so forth.

You are incorrect in stating that desnorkling will bring hot air into the intake. All the Boxsters have a sealed intake and desnorkling will not affect this. I am not convinced that desnorkling will improve intake or improve performance. However, from Bisimoto's experiments... I do believe that desnorkling will not hurt performance either.

To go back to the original question. I was interested in desnorkling just for the sound improvement. This will be first in a long line (hopefully) of modifications to my Boxster. Again... does anyone know if my 2004 Boxster S has a snorkle or not?

Thanks