Thread: Brake Handle
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
RandallNeighbour

Oddly enough, I just replaced mine this afternoon!

The directions from the SSK are good for removing the center console.

I also installed a new black console I got for trading something a while back.

I used the directions for replacing the handbrake from this page:

http://www.986faq.com/7-0/handbrake.asp

The only hard part about removing the handbrake is the fact that the tranny cables are in the way and a bit tedious to get around, but it's not bad.

Don't forget the screw under the coin holder in the oddments tray.

BTW, closely examine the hinge on the oddments tray for cracks in the plastic. Mine cracked and broke a while back and super glue didn't hold long. I took the time today to rivet in a new kit sold by Porsche to fix it once and for all.

I also put in a non-smoker's kit and new window switches because the old ones had all the black shiny paint worn off the edges and showed the white plastic below.

Boy, my new ebrake handle, new switches, new console and non-smoker's kit looks nice... and my old console was so wobbly and loose because the plastic around half the screws had broken out completely. Someone before me must have been really hard on that console.

One more thing... found nearly a buck in change under the console all around the place... under the ebrake assembly and in the shifter area. Whomever said NOT to keep change in one's ashtray wasn't kidding!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote