Thread: Speaker issue
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #19
Burg Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcompress
Now I need to actually put it all together. What is the best route to get the plug up through the back and to the head unit?
I presume you're talking about the iPod Aux in connector, correct? If so, it's very tight..... but you can try and plug it into the back of the head unit from behind. Reach up there and feel around. Otherwise, just pull your head unit and fish it up. With the head unit out you can see down behind the console.

Incidentally, if you've never pulled your h/u before..... don't slice off your fingers doing so. It's in verytight. Put the keys in the slots and drop a screwdriver into the holes in the keys and pull on the screwdrivers. If it's never been pulled before, it will be very hard to get it out the first time. Just pull evenly but harder than you think you should be.

Once out, push the blue tabs in on the side of the h/u and release the keys. To re-insert, make sure everything is lined up and the AUX-in feed is clear and slide the unit back in the dash. It needs to go in perfectly level/lined up. Sometimes it'll catch on the frame in the dash, just wiggle up/down and side to side until it lines up.

Tip: Once everything is hooked up but with the radio still removed.... make sure you start the engine and try the iPod. Now that you're powering it w/ the vehicle, you may get alternator whine (humm/buzz amplified through the speakers in relationship w/ engine rpms). If so, just drop in a GLI (ground loop isolator) on the RCA plugs between the iPod and the h/u Aux-in cord. (pick up at Best buy, Radio Slack - $15-20). I prefer the one from Best Buy as it has m/f connections and shorter leads. The one R/S is m/m and much longer leads which just leaves more loose wires jumbled behind the console plus you might then also need to add a m/f converter.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4118145&st=gli&type=product&id=1122655296186

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214&cp=&sr=1&origkw=ground+loop&kw=ground+loop&parentPage=search
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote