View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
Tool Pants

List on the red clip is something like $6. In the old days I use to buy them for 50 cents, then everyone on the internet was buying them and Porsche jacked up the price.

In the old days Peter Smith came up with a simple wiring harness you could make for the OBC retrofit from a plastic connector sold by Porsche and wires sold by VW. I use to buy the connector for about $2.50 and the wires for $1.90 each. Then everyone started buying the connector and VW wires.

A local owner recently told me a Porsche dealer wanted $14 for the connector, and VW wanted $7 each for the wires. These parts are to fix electrical problems, and would normally be a slow, very slow, seller. But now everyone was buying them to do OBC retrofits.

I got pissed off years ago and went down the street to BMW. They had the same connector for $1.50. I told the BMW parts guy how Porsche had jacked up the price, and he said BMW also jacks up the price when they see an item starting to sell. Too bad I could not find BMW wires that were the same as the VW wires.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote