Thread: Homelink Mod
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
JonnyBGood

Thanks Donv. I was worried about the holes I put in there as they are not round but oval. I had to do all of that by hand and really just eyeball it. I've got wires attached to the unit already and have tested it out of my vehicle. The unit works like a champ! I should have bought another one as it was only 20 bucks.

There is some work getting the 'ribs' out of the back of the batwing which is indeed the trim piece right above the console. That is where a lot of people have seat warmers as those in boston should have . The ribs in the back was much easier to do because it doesn't show and there is enough rigidity in the back to support the button unit, and it fits perfectly.

I'm trying to figure out how to make sure that while I'm pressing the buttons, it doens't push out the button unit out of the batwing. I was just going to use epoxy, but I'm not sure that its going to hold enough. I think I'm going to put 2 holes in the side ribs and epoxy a nail (or some sort of metal bar) that will press the back of the button unit up against the back of the batwing.

Its hard to describe, when I get that part done, I'll take some more pics. Its just slow going because ... well, I'm being lazy and I want to get it done right

I think I"m going to put up a web page with all the instructions when I get it all done, unfortunately, the guy who sold this to me on ebay doesn't seem to have any on sale right now. When I bought mine, he had 30 for sale at the same time for 20 bucks.

Anyway, more to come in the near future. I've got to figure out where I'm going to tape the power from or just wire it directly into the fuse box. That should be an interesting part as there is a ton of wires back in the console, but I don't know which wires are providing constant power.

If anyone knows which colored wires provide constant power in the console behind the radio and climate control, let me know I'd like to just tap power instead of wire power to the fuse box.

JBG