View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
navpat1

Further on 2002S RWB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVoMotion
I kind of agree, but...I wonder what the expected life of an engine bearing is. Wheel bearing should last more than 30K...and the service mgr agrees.
My original post last summer left me with P-Zero's being rotated and noise increasing by the week. I finally coughed up the money for new Michelin Pilot Sports all around (18" with sport classic II's) and now we have less tire noise. However . . ahem . . we can now clearly hear the bearing noise (my original theory) which sounds like the sound effects for a Star War's pod racer. I have asked my service manager for a quote, noting that it will probably be less than a set of Pilot Sports, and after a week I have no response. Recall that he suggested I buy a set of new Michelins last summer. As to Evo's question on bearing longevity, I have never seen a rear wheel bearing last less than 60k miles, and that was on a '55 Chevy that I was less than kind to, shall we say. Having said that, we are talking about a different kind of bearing on a P-car. The rear is much like the front on most cars in that it is not constantly bathed in 90W differential oil, but rather is assembled with lithium or other grease and sealed. I no longer work on cars but in the absence of a response from my 'home' dealer, I visited the Livermore store and got a quote of $820 for both side (rear). This seems consistent with what others are paying, and an independent in Stockton (CA) quoted me $20 MORE than the dealer in Livermore. This will bring the total bill for putting this matter to rest at just over $2000. That's an expensive growl!
I'll post again after the fix. Cheers.
navpat1 is offline   Reply With Quote