View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
saaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
The dealer is there to make money.
This is a good point in general as one wants to beware of the classic dealer trick of them offering you what appears to be a lot of money for your car in a trade when you are in fact just overpaying for the other car vs. no trade.

But I think this comes down to only one question (assuming colors, options, and maintenance history are all equal value to you): How much is an upgrade from a 986 to a 987 worth to you?

If you will think you will be definately antsy for a 987 for the next few years and the numbers feel right, I would go for the 987. If you would be just fine driving the 986 for the next few years and would enjoy it almost as much as the 987, that makes it a lot harder to justify the price difference. Some poeple find it helpful to quantify these "subjective" questions, (such as how much more is a 987 worth to me than a 986).

For example, I decided a long time ago that a car with excellent, documented maintenance history is worth up to 30% more to me than the same car without the documented maintenance history. That's my own rule I made for my own reasons. similarly, it may be helpful to quantify how much the upgrade is worth to you. Just some thoughts, feel free to ignore.

Last edited by saaber; 02-04-2008 at 12:18 PM.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote