Thread: What to Buy???
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
Soetekouw

My choice would be with the 08 Boxster or 08 BMW Z4. I have owned both of these cars.

My take on the BMW:
Pros:
1. I prefer the BMW design over the porche.
2. Automatic top without having to unlatch.
3. More front leg room.
4. An engine I can get to, look at, and clean (and easily change oil without lifting the vehicle).
5. Volume control on the steering wheel.
6. Free 4yr/50K maintance (although it is probably paid for in the price, nevertheless, it seems free).
7. Great aftermarket service. They even provide periodic surveys to ask your opinion of the car (porsche is really not interested in our opinions).
8. Several aftermarket add-ons to personalize your vehicle.
9. You sit lower in the BMW than the porsche (seems like a real roadster as compared to porsche).

Cons:
1. Seats.

My take on Porsche:
Pros:
1. More solid, detailed, and finished. Higher quality.
2. Better seats (lumbar support available)
3. Grips the road better.
4. Better engine response.

Cons:
1. Few aftermarket add-ons available (when you buy your porsche, that is basically it)
2. Radio system has small buttons and too many of them (I still haven't figured out how to set the stations - it's probably me).
3. Expensive, expensive, expensive ($225 for oil change).

Again, these are my observations, and may not apply to your particular needs.

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with either car. I found the BMW to be a 'fun' car and 'seemed' to go faster, while the porsche is a more serious car. You can compare the BMW to a go-cart (fast and fun) and the porsche as a more serious race car.

I sold the BMW to try the porsche. If BMW would provide better seats (with lumbar), I would probably buy a BMW, again. But, you will not go wrong with either car.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote