View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
RandallNeighbour

Here's the skinny on the repair, which my buddy did for me today very successfully, I might add!

This first pic is a shot of the wheel carrier with the top bolt receiver all torn up. You may not be able to tell, but there are no threads in the top one...

Because the drill bit with the kit was larger and VERY sharp, my buddy decided to step up to the actual drill bit needed for the insert by choosing a smaller bit and drilling it out, then a little larger one, then one that was a tad smaller than the one that came with the kit, then the final one...

Next, the hole had to be tapped for the insert...

Here's a shot of the bolt hole, complete with a reset area for the lip of the insert...

The insert fits into the tapped hole very easily...

The kit comes with an insert tool that seats it and locks it in place at the bottom of the insert...

Voila! The finished product...

If you do a brake job, do buy a Motive bleeder. Wonderful little device! ...

Here's a shot of the rear passenger side, which shows off the new cross drilled rotors and my new brake lines...

I am glad this project is over. It should be stated again that I didn't strip out the bolt receivers, they were rusted and heat-welded in place. What I'm really, REALLY glad I didn't do was try to get them off quickly. It was up and down with a cheater bar and PB Blaster, moving the hex wrench a quarter turn, then up and down again to move the bolt out slooooooowly so it didn't snap off in the wheel carrier.

If I ever meet the guy from the factory that put on my caliper bolts without using anti-seize on them, I'm gonna have to hurt him real bad.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote