View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
dmenn

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
Hi all - Just wanted to follow up again on this thread. I went ahead and purchased a stock 997 shifter from the contact Blinkwatt provided me (thank you Robert!).

The part # is 997-424-010-00 as I mentioned in an earlier post. Switching out the stock 986 shifter with this stock 997 shifter was very straight forward and pretty easy to do. I did some measuring before and after so we have some hard facts to work with.

On my 2000S 986 shifter the distance between 1st and 2nd gears was 6 1/8 inches. After the 997 shifter was installed, the distance between 1st and 2nd was reduced to 5 1/4 inches. That is approximately 14%. Not bad!

The shifter is smooth and feels great. I've never tried a B&M before, so I can't comment on how that feels or how short that is, but use my data as a reference point when comparing the percentage the shift throw is reduced. If you're at all thinking about going the short shift route and are hesitant about messing with your shifter mechanism, I recommend this!

Any questions - let me know!
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote