View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
blinkwatt

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
997 Shifter Install

I couldn't stand the standard throw of the 986 shifter assembly on my 6-spd and the B & M style shifter was way too notchy for my taste,especially since my car is a DD when the weather is nice. I ran across a post on Rennlist mentioning how the 997 shifter assembly is a 10-15% reduction in throws(compared to the 9x6 assemblies) and is assembled better the 986 assembly. My Dad and I each order one for $80/assembly,new it would have been $165 from Sunset Imports.

Here are the cliffnotes from my Dad's and my conversation,he drives a 01' 996(same tranny for us 6-spd owners);

'Nice,I was afraid I wasn't going to notice that small of a reduction,but I did.'...'nope,everything is perfect,no regrets'

I drive a 01' 986 S and I must say whoever on Rennlist found about this is one awesome dude. With the stock 986 set up I really hated the 1-2nd or N-2nd throws......Not soo much of an issue now with the 997 shifter assembly. Other that when I flew threw the other gears it seemed like there was a small increase in throw lengths.

For those of you afraid to change anything out on your rides but want a shorter throw just do it already,it's completely reversible & OEM.

If anyone wants the contact if for the dude who sells the assemblies let me know,I can send you his email. He runs a track conversion shop of some sort and has a bunch of them just lying around.