Thread: When to let go?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
steve00s

I've been going through the same debate for a year now. My car has 77,000 miles on it and I was concerned about reliability and getting my money out of it before it depreciated any further. I decided I wanted another Porsche and actually sold my car twice to flakey buyers that couldn't follow through. Put my car in the garage for the winter and am now leaning towards keeping it.

My reasoning is that the car is just so fun to drive that even though the depreciation mounts it is more than offset by my enjoyment. Very few cars are going to offer the performance for what the market value of the car is. I believe the look of the car is classic and will remain so. How many people would die to own a well cared for 356?

As far as reliablility, which sounds like your main issue, as long as the maintenance is followed there is no reason for major anxiety. With higher miles, I find myself more aware and diligent with keeping the car as well tuned and operating as I can. I justify any additional expense by thinking about what a $700 or $800 monthly payment would feel like on a newer car. Anytime something doesn't sound quite right (which is rare) I have it serviced ASAP.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote