View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
The real question here is which set of cat deletes gives you more power, the ones located in the headers, or the secondary ones? Any one know? I would bet deleting the ones in the headers would be more to benefit from.

I believe you are correct on the cars with four cats total that you'd probably get more benefit from removing the header cats. They're not much of a straight-through type of design and the aftermarket headers just look so freakin' sexy with all of those curves!

Still I think that in a four cat system you'd have a LOT more headaches with removing the header cats. I've been awfully tempted buy the cheap eBay headers and so have researched this a bit, even crawling under my car tonight. On my 2000 S there are four cats and four O2 sensors. All of the O2 sensors are on the headers. For my car I'd leave the headers alone. Even if there is more to be gained there in power, there is also a potential for a LOT more headaches. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about going to just two O2 sensors. You may get CELs and rough running, or you may not...

The test pipe or mid pipe is SO MUCH easier. No O2 sensors. No worries about the car reading funky O2 and adjusting your timing or something else. No CELs. Easier install and removal for smog testing. Blah, blah, blah...

I'm going to add some test pipes to my wish list. But I think I'm going to go the custom route - not to save money, but to install some nasty by-pass valves to give my quiet Gemballa muffler a little more balls.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote