View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
porsche986spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxRealtor
I know this has been discussed before, but thought I would refresh the topic. I had my first oil change at an independant Porsche shop since I bought my 99. They insisted that it had to be done at 3,000-5,000 intervals regardless of what others and the manual say (I'm sure they love doing $200 oil changes). They used Mobile 1 10W-30. I'm in AZ, so maybe that's a factor with the temperatures here? I've heard everything from 3,000 to 15,000. Someone set me straight!
Well the owner's manual that comes with our cars says once every 15k or once a year, which ever comes first. My German mechanic at Stuttgart told me that 15k was pushing it and that 7-k was more reasonable. Personally I think this is the cause of many of the RMS failures. Think about it, the oil may be good to last 15k but the oil filter really isn't. People try to get 15k out of the oil change with that one filtering 9.5 quarts of oil and after several changes done this way, all those filters start to overflow and they get clogged up causing it to build up over time and come out at the Rear Main Seal because it has no place else to go. But again that's just my theory. So you can believe what the Porsche manual says or change it more often. Every 3k is a little ridiculous for a 9.5 quart oil change. And expensive.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 01-22-2008 at 12:35 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote