Thread: Won't start
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
tboyer

Garage
Turns out the problem was a bad ignition switch which is actually an Audi part. With that in mind, don't call a Porsche parts department expecting to buy just the switch, they'll only sell you the entire lock mechanism which is suppose to eliminate this issue once and for all. Since my last switch has lasted 68,000 miles (I know this because the red paint you scratch off was in tact) I decided a new switch would be the better option. You'll have to contact/head over to you Audi/VW parts department in order to purchase a replacement. I've seen them online for $11.00 but decided to purchase at stealership markup which was $70 + tax.

My DIY for replacing (DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, HAVE YOUR RADIO CODE HANDY):
If your key isn't stuck (a common issue with this problem) make sure you are in the 0 position (key turned all the way off) before starting

1. Grab a flexible light, and the tiny screwdriver that comes with an eyeglass repair kit (you need a tiny screwdriver to remove the switch)
2. Crawl under the dash, remove the air tube that sits between the center console and the left hand vent. A decent tug in either direction will allow you to pull it out, there are no screws holding this tube in place
3. Locate the wiring harness that attaches to the ignition switch
4. Locate the tiny screws covered in red locking paint, scratch off the paint to expose the screws
5. Loosen the screws until you are able to slide the switch out, DO NOT remove the screws!!!! I can't even imagine how hard it would be put those screws back in
6. I put the screwdriver in my left hand in order to have enough room to slip up and under the dash to loosen the screws
7. IF you drop the screwdriver behind the fuse panel carpet, don't panic, remove the four screws holding the cover in place to locate your screwdriver
8. Before you put the new switch in place, visualize how the switch will sit in place First, play with the direction of the turn in the switch while outside of the car with your key. The idea here is to make sure the switch goes in the 0 position behind the key mechanism. Luckily I was able to get it right the first time. My guess is that you could install the switch upside down or not in the correct position which would cause undesired results
9. Slide in the new switch, tighten the screws. Some people report leaving the locking paint scratched off (I did) others use nail polish, whatever you do don't make it so if you have a future problem you can't remove
10. Connect the battery and start the car, if it worked congrats! Reinstall the vent tube and buy yourself a latte, you just saved yourself a flatbed tow and several hundreds of dollars.

Here are some additional links/pictures that helped me out

Link 1
Link 2

Also doing a search on 986forum was helpful

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote