Thread: Kirk's Ride...
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Kirk

Kirk's Ride...

When life throws you lemons... make lemonade, right? I got hit on my motorcycle in May of last year. Totaled out my bike and almost totaled out me. I'm recovering and I'm anticipating to settle with the insurance company later this year. So what to do for fun now that the bike's gone and I've got a little money coming? I decided to start modifying my 2000 Boxster S.

Here are the mods I've done so far, most in the last half of 2007:

Interior
Aluminum pedals with "Porsche" name on them
TV monitor in middle of dash
HKS CAMP system to feed car data to the monitor
Knock Link - knock sensor and display
Polk door speakers (I have the DSP stereo system)

Engine
I don't really plan on doing much now. I just installed a K&N air filter. Maybe I'll upgrade to a 3.6L in the future, once Todd and others figure out how to bullet-proof the electronics/DME changes.

Suspension
Gemballa lowering springs
Lower stress bars

Exterior
Screen mesh behind front bumper grills and side vents
Carbon fiber hood
Dzus fasteners to hold down hood, otherwise it bulges in the middle, all of the CF hoods seem to have this problem. The Dzus fasteners with my custom brackets hold it down perfectly flat.
Litronic headlights - just picked these up this weekend. I tried tint film and tint paint first and didn't like either. Finally got a good deal on some litronics.
Tinted side markers
Tinted 3rd brake light
BSA wheels w/Falken tires
Chrome lug bolts
Removed bumperettes and replaced with metal screen
Removed rear "Boxster" badge and left a red "S" in its place

I've got some cool plans for the future. I like a more radical look to the Boxster, what some would consider "rice". I have the following parts then that I need to paint and install:

Gemballa GT rear bumper
Gemballa GT exhaust
Gemballa GT side skirts
Porsche speedster humps

I also still have some dash speakers that I need to custom install, and I need to roll the fenders to fit the wheels I have (minor rub issue in back).

Right now I'm focused on getting the exhaust and rear bumper on. I've test fit the bumper and it goes on pretty well, so that's not a problem. I test fit the side skirts and I think I'll take those to a body shop as they need some work to make them fit perfectly. I'm taking my time as it's winter, cold, rainy, and the car's not going anywhere.

When I get these mods done I will still want to change out the rear (amber) tail lights, add a wing (Fiberwerks Daytona), and probably add a more aggressive front bumper to match the Gemballa body kit (their GT front bumper is too mild, almost the same as stock). I'm thinking of the 997 GT3 style bumper that fits a 986.

Here's one photo of my car from before I got the chrome lug bolts and litronics.

Kirk

Last edited by Kirk; 01-14-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote