Thread: Cross Drilled?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
racer_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
OK, I know this has been discussed to death, but now it's ME who's buying them and I want fresh opinions.

I need new rotors before I do my first high-speed DE in March (my birthday present to myself, btw). I love the look of the cross-drilled zimmermans, but I'm reading they should not be used for the track.

Here is my list of questions I'd like answered:

1) Is a DE event as rigorous on brakes as actual "track use" of the boxster?

2) Can I safely buy the cross drilled and not have to replace them too soon?

3) What pads should I buy for regular city and country driving with a DE thrown in now and then?

4) Should I replace the brake lines (originals on the 104k mile car now) with SS ones?

If you smart wrench-turners can help me out here, I'd appreciate it!

[1/7/08 Clarification: My pads and disks are worn and need replacement. So, this isn't a desire to upgrade for the sake of upgrading alone. I just need to get new brake component and wondered if going to cross-drilled would be ok considering I'll be doing a DE soon]
The most important thing for your FIRST DE is to make sure the car is up to it. What does that mean? Make sure your brake pads have over 50% of their available pad remaining. Also, make sure you have FRESH, NEW DOT4 brake fluid. Some prefer ATE (Blue or Gold) others spend more for Castrol SRF.

As mentioned, you will be the limiting factor in your first de.

Now, if in general your brakes haven't been reconditioned recently, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get new DOT rated stainless steel lines. Perhaps some "performance" pads (vs stock), fresh brake fluid (see above) and if you need to replace rotors, I would suggest SLOTTED over cross drilled. They are just as capable of venting away the gas build up, but they don't succumb to cracking as easily as cross drilled.

For reference, I am a PCA instructor who runs in either of the top two run groups (predicated mostly by region). For my Non S, I replaced Pads and Fluid and found the brakes better than the upgraded brakes on my previous TRACK ONLY 911.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote