Thread: Cross Drilled?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
schwank

This is not specific to the 986 but based on my experiences including my 944's.

1) DE is not a race, you should never drive 10/10. So no, it is not AS stressful as a race. However, you will get those things nice and warm.

2) In all honesty, cross drilled will not increase performance enough to be worth the money. I would just buy regular stock rotors. It's not like Porsche makes weak brakes from the factory. With stock rotors you won't even have to worry about cracks. One less thing to deal with.

3) I'm a fan of Hawk pads... I've run HP+ on the 944 with great success on street and for DE use. Excellent wear and durability without eating rotors. For our Boxster S, I just installed Pagid Sport RS 4-2-1 pads. No DE on those until I get a chance to get it out this spring.

4) SS is not necessary... not as good for road use as it makes them difficult to inspect. You may just want to install new factory lines, along with a good fluid flush with something like Ate Super Blue.

If your car is only going to get light DE use, you'll be fine with new factory parts, and some upgraded pads.