View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 04:18 AM   #23
efahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
And if I wasn’t already where I’m at I’d consider a 3.2, 3.4 or 3.6. I am surprised though at the relatively modest power gain with such significant displacement increases (and hassle), not much bang for the buck.
PK,

It's not so much that the peak HP, but the fat torque curve that the 3.4 gets you. Any gear, any time, just mash the pedal and it goes. Stomp it in first and the traction control kicks in (if the pavement is wet, same thing in second, no clutching needed, just floor it). Just for comparison, my engine is putting down 259 rwhp on the dyno, about 9 more than the motor produced in the C2 from which it was pulled (headers, exhaust, intake, tuning et cetera).

I'm running a stock G86/00 (code CWA) five speed transmission on my car, with a light flywheel and sport clutch, and it hasn't broken yet, even with a fair amount of abuse.

Regarding your original question, I have yet to see a German motor that could not take at least 75 HP per cylinder; older iron-block Audis are good for about 100 per hole with stock internals. I would expect the stock bottom end in a 2.5 to be good for 400-450 HP without problems (going forced induction would prompt me to put in different pistons though, I'd lower the static CR and increase the height of the top ring land).

Eric
efahl is offline   Reply With Quote