View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #17
RandallNeighbour

Lots of the 97s and 98s had rear main seal problems because of out-of-round crank shafts made in the first 2.5's. It wobbled horribly and eventually tore up the seal. I agree with those above this post that said if it has a bad engine, it's already been replaced for these year models... except if you find one a garage queen with 12k on it. I'd be scared of that just because it was in the garage far more than it was on the road and who knows what is rotting out from the inside out.

My '97 had a new $8,000 engine put in it just before I bought it. Right now, it's in my mechanic's garage having the transmission replaced, but only because of of an idiot previous owner jamming it into first gear and dropping the clutch repeatedly, or downshifting into first gear at a high rate of speed.

Search this site for threads about warranties outside of Porsche, and you'll read a recurring theme: "It's a waste of your money as they find loopholes as to why your problem isn't covered."

Buy a Boxster with some factory warranty on it... or better yet, one that is Porsche certified pre-owned and warrented to 100k. IMHO, this is the way to go and what I should have done. I like the older certified pre-owned option because all the stuff that goes wrong with most cars happens at 75-100k, not under 50k, so you get the biggest bang for your buck when X goes out at 79k miles. Also, the certified pre-owned Porsches are thoroughly checked out because they don't want to warrant a dog of a car. Just my opinion.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote