View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #15
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by efahl
Par-tay!

Air-water ICs are good for packaging but have some limitations .. 75 degrees, so outlet temp would be 180-75 = 105f.

Now when you stack heat exchangers, ...56% system efficiency. (And this is a contrived "best case" example, 75% is rarely attainable in the real world.)

..The pump in Gary's car is the oil scavenger for the turbos. Turbochargers drain their cooling/lubricating oil out the bottom using gravity...and the pump then evacuates the plenum back into the engine.

Eric
Thanks for the reply Eric,

Your W/A IC’s synopsis backs up what I’ve heard elseware. I get it, you’ve 2 “losy” heat exchangers instead of one. Couldn’t you though, just double up the size of the front water exchanger space permitting ? Also, Is the wet heat exchanger just a radiator?

As to the cool-tank set up, isn’t really practical for my purposes.
Thanks for clearing up the pump mystery, who da thunk .

So what do you think about the positioning of Gary’s IC?. Obviously works for his setup, but I heard of something called “throttle volume” meaning (I guess) the volume of air in between the SC and the throttle body. Apparently to much and you get something akin to turbo lag. I was told that a total of 4 feet of tubing (to the IC and back) “probably“ wouldn’t be noticeable…your thoughts?

Last but not least, any clearing houses that you know of for calculating a workable system be it W/C or A/A. I have this goal of milking another 25 hp out of this thing and I’m on the cheap at the moment. Right now can only semi educated guesses as to how components I cob together might behave.

Thanks again, PK

P.S. Is water injection a valid option (no clue about it)
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote