View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #43
boxsterz

@rick3000, don't put words in my mouth or you're going to wear em. Your PSM post is exactly the kind of UN-helpful response to those looking for some insight.

@meerzee,

the 911 without doubt, is the higher performance model. Most 911 owners assuredly bought it for that reason. OTOH, the box is the lowest end Pcar, and I'm not so sure many here bought it for any other reason, i.e. mid engine, decent power, convertible design from the get-go,... etc.. The simple fact the vast majority of mods here consist of aesthetic rather than performance is clear enough.

It seems to me a fair amount bought it for "looks" and entry into the P-car fame. I do plan on 996/997 TT eventually, but the box will do for now. I may even keep the box if I can get some more power from it. Inherently I believe the box handles better than 911. Do I aspire for 911 because it was (enter CGT) the pinnacle of Porsche.... of course not, I want the power, and the back seats when the time comes. Also I do find the 911 forums more knowledgeable and more willing to mod their cars for performance.

First and foremost:

It's enormously appealing doing more with less, e.g. beating a 996 TT or GT3 around the track is a smokin accomplishment in a box. I would like that kind of performance. Hey I can dream :P. The lazy thinker says, "why don't you just go out and buy a GT3". No I don't think that HAS to be the case. I'll continue to hack.

Poser defined:

I hate misinformation. I would like to eradicate it. I am the type of person who will say I don't know something or I'll shut the f_ck up when I don't know. What is irritating, is a performance issue is being discussed and the poser group interjects with a veiled attempt at bolstering their own ignorance and pose as a performance oriented poster (better more skillful driver to do WITHOUT X,Y,Z). The result is a lot of noise, and the real issue is lost. All show, no go. MN boxster was famous for shooting down the merits of the S model because he owned a base.

In addition, I just do not see the same level of energy in seeking out performance as the pretty up posts. The poser is the box owner who talks like they're performance oriented yet prove to be about looks. That was MNboxster to a tee. He talked the talk, but when it came to walking, all he was worth was how to paint calipers. --Exactly what he had hypocritically dismissed--

To make this clear. I find nothing objectionable with the fuzzy dice, painted caliper crowd, if that is who you are. Own it. No big deal. I'd still help you out if I could. It's the "performance" mask I despise. Don't try and fool me into thinking you're about performance when you're not.

Having said all that, these are the type of statements that seem pervasive here.

Q: how can I get more HP from my car?

A: you can't really. it's a Pcar not a Vette. Stick to the factory design objective and live with it. It's a corner carver, not a dragster. Go away and get a Civic (Poor man's porsche snobbery peeking through)

Q: Are there any alternatives other than factory Porsche power?

A: take a driving course, in our infinite wisdom it will give you more Zen.

Q: is X option worth the price?

A: I never had X option, so I don't miss it, therefore neither will you. Those who have X option are inferior, because we do more with less.

Q: I want to mod my car beyond factory parts, what are my options?

A: You need to get a Civic, this is a Por-sche forum, we cater to tasteful imitations of Porsche's higher performance models, chiefly the front facia and brake caliper paint give most bang for the buck. We like the "look" and prestige of the higher models, but we don't want to pay full choke for it. We think we can palm it off and get 90% reaction for 10% the price.

In the end it's your ride, do what you want. I just want a little more honesty and open mindedness, that's all. Again, I fully appreciate we all have our differences and preferences. And I am in no way trying to assert my performance preference over your aesthetic ones, or establish some sort of "have vs. have not" elitism. I'm just tired of the posturing.