View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #19
meerzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Just a little rant...

I don't know what brings me to posting this, and this will likely get me banned or gain me much disdain, contempt and flaming. Frankly I don't know what I have to profit from sharing this with you. I'm basically shooting myself in the foot. It's a feeling that has grown since I've stayed here, and it's becoming more apparent the more I see and discuss things here. I must get this off my chest. The truth must be told. I do not mean to insult everyone here, but I fear I ultimately will.

So here I go down the slippery slopes...

On the whole, as a group of posters, I find this group of forum members more articulate than most but far more ignorant and opinionated than hoped. A pigeon hole type mentality is pervasive. Creative thinking is the rarity. Problem solving or modding a forgone conclusion. Dare I say the boxster criticism of Poser Porsche seems to fit. And fit well on average . I think that really sucks because the boxster is a capable performance car that has yet more to offer. I belong to several other internet forums and this one is the worst in terms of factual info and objectivity. On average, this forum's info is largely biased and not well thought out. It is not only closed minded, but oppressively so.

There are shining exceptions to this, tool pants, grizzly, randallneighboor, bismoto engineering, etc... (forgive me if I forgot you on the list...)

Do I need to get a 911 and hang with them? No, I'm not drunk... no I'm not on meds... just a little fed up with the poser mentality here. There, I feel better. What I can't play in this sandbox anymore??

I am confused as to what you are trying to say. Is your only definition of a true Boxster enthusiast someone that is calling up Gambella and ordering every single kit, aero package, SC, or add-on they can afford? Are you upset because we actually talk about life within the boundaries of this forum and are not spewing out commentary about 0-60, ET, track days, slicks & camber setting at each and every turn? I didn't purchase a 986 nor join this forum for purpose of turning my roadster into a fast & furious Toyko Drift competitor. Is that "poser speak" because I don't have the need to race every single ricer gunning at each light? I think it is called maturity and understanding for what the Boxster is and what it is not. I can mod a Civic into one hell of a popcorn machine capable of impressive launch times, jerky twists and stoplight thrills, but at the end of the day, I still have a used and abused Honda.....not exactly what I would call: refined.

"Do I need to get a 911 and hang with them?" I think that line is quite revealing....
Do you need to feel better about yourself and your car selection? I think that line points to a character issue that you might be having with yourself much more so than the company you keep here on this forum. What do you want or expect this forum community to do for you? What do you expect from your Boxster? In line with the other forums, I don't see the bickering nor the aimlessness that I observe over at ppbb, but I agree at on the General Forum it is not as technical as the RennTech board.

I used to race Vettes AX and SCCA for many years, and I simply got tired of the constant modding, the MSD this or not, the Lunati this, the Camfield this, Hurst, No2, boost discussion, fuel cells, helmets, everything......It was loud, extremely fast, essentially ridiculous & just over the top. I don't want to feed that side of my personality anymore, if that is "poser speak", then call me guilty. I am a professional, so I desire to be slightly more refined, controlled and confident without having to prove it by popping clutches and race redlines at every stoplight. It is essentially called maturity & inner confidence.

Perhaps you believe you will gain more confidence in yourself by driving a 911.
Somehow, I still think you will be left wanting.......and finding fault where essentially there is none to be found, at least outside yourself and your own judgements.

All the best.