View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #19
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
No. They do interact in the middle of the muffler. That first pic is misleading. The left and right inlets connect in the middle; it is straight though from end to end. perforations along that length determine where the gas spills out into which chamber.

Correct... the pipe in the very middle equalizes the pressure between the two sides that come into the muffler. Many motorcycle exhausts (like Harely Sportsters) have these equalizing pipes that connect the two exhaust outlets together.

One more correction... there are only two chambers on each side. After gases flow into the second chamber they are routed through piping out the exhaust tips. It's hard to see in the photos. I changed the brightness of the Tool Pants photo before I posted it to try to make it easier to see, but the pipe from the second chamber looks like it goes straight to the exhaust tip and not into that central chamber. I believe the central chamber does not receive any exhaust gases, but only houses the various piping. At least that's the way it is on the S muffler, you can't really see it in the picture of the standard Boxster muffler.

Kirk
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote