View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
boxsterz

My main objective is more flow, and no drone. That discounts just about all aftermarket exhausts. As for flow, I suspect that is how the factory hobbled the 986s. My assumption is based on 996's and cayman's have more output/liter and basically the same motor. What is different is the exhaust plumbing.

987 has a revised smoother header (more hp too for that model).
Both 996 and Cayman use seperate mufflers for each bank, instead of the all in one 986. I think this builds a case for restrictive OEM 986 muffler. Each muffler does not fight the other.

Looking into 986S inlets, the pipe goes straight through! Each bank is fighting the other, then spills out in the middle, and onto the other chambers. The first pic I posted is misleading in that way, as the inlets look skewed. They are not. They go all the way through to other end.
Judging from the pics, I'm still not exactly sure how the exhuast is routing. Does the outlet pipes extend to the last chamber? I cannot tell on the right side.

I may have to cut open mine for a better idea. Does anyone have more pics the'd like to share?

Last edited by boxsterz; 10-10-2007 at 01:37 PM.