View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Don't you want to know if it's leaking? I don't understand why anyone would want to ignore a problem if you've got it. Even if you're unaware of a problem, it won't just go away.

I'd ask for them to check it and see if it's bad enough to need a replacement.

If it were leaking that bad, don't you think you'd see evidence on the floor or the car taking oil? If it makes you feel better hearing it from the Pcar mechanic and paying the dealership x amount to fix it, and that seems to be the prevalent thing to do here, I won't stand in your way. I have the unpopular view of thinking for myself, and seeing for myself. That's just me. What happens when you take the word of an "expert" (MNboxster :chicken: ? more on that later...) You become a slave.

I am aware that things don't fix themselves, but if it's a *slightly weeping* RMS like I have, then for me, it's not a call for RMS replacement. I wouldn't classify mine as a leak, it looks very slightly wet and that's about it, no drips... yet. The dealer would love to service me on this I'm sure. For those folks easily swayed to be on the safe side, I can understand. OTOH, there are those of us that woud like to spend that $$ somewhere else (turbo kit?? )

Which brings me to my suggestion. If the mechanic finds the leak on his own, then it's very possible the leak is bad enough to warrant replacement. If he misses it, then there may not be suffiecient oil "leak" to be spotted... (or maybe he's having a bad day)...

Whatever the case, a diligent owner should be able to deduce the signs of a RMS leak on their own. I suppose it comes down to trusting the dealership or trusting yourself. Since I'm fairly mechanical, I trust myself...YMMV.