View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
edevlin

"You mentioned in your post though that this car is faster than an S. Is this accomplished by "Evo Cold Air Intake and GIAC Tuning Chip, Custom Maxflo Dual Exhaust System," or do you have other performance mods not listed in the ad?"

"Just from my driving experience with this car and a friend's S model, this feels a lot quicker and stronger. I believe the GT3 seats also contribute to the lightness and feel of the car. I know the GT3 seats also made a huge difference on my 996. But anyway, no other mods except for what was listed."

I have wondered about how a modestly-tuned base boxster (intake, exhaust, chip) would compare to a stock "S". I have only driven one 2000 stock S and was impressed by its torque, but it did not seem as quick as my base model. Granted, that is a stunningly small sample size, and taken by a biased observer, but still.

I will get my car on the dyno in the next couple of weeks to see if my butt dyno is right about the latest tune that was done to my ECU. It sure feels quicker and I get the sense that I am moving more air through the engine with the latest tune.

I suspect I will be putting down hp in the same range as a stock 2000 S. But base Boxsters are lighter, mine is well over 100 lbs lighter than the stock "S". Then there is the issue of rotating mass (brakes, flywheel, engine) that could contribute to the preceived quickness of a base model.

All that being said, it seems pretty silly to be splittng hairs and discussing a modest 30 or so hp and a few tenths of a second on a 0-60 time between two nearly identical cars. Oh well, its fun and such is the nature of the addiction.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote