View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
markk

I own a BMW e46 m3, a Porsche (986) BoxsterS, and a Mitsubishi EVO 8 MR RS.

Totally different cars.

The M3 is great fun for daily driving. Power, rear-wheel-drive, limited slip differential, 8k redline, nice options, very comfortable. However in my book it is not a sportscar. It is too heavy and when really pushing it you can feel the weight and a bit later the brakes failing. I never take it to a circuit. At least, not for fast driving. For drifting the M3 is the ultimate tool.

The 986S is far more sharper as a true sportscar. The convertible top provides more exposure to the elements which all adds to the fun. Compared to a 996/m3 and especially the EVO it lacks power and a limited slip differential.

It all depends on what you really want. I like the cars I own but they are totally different. I really do like my M3 but there is a lot of mystique floating around the car on the internet. I think the M3 is very good at everything (power, steering, feel, revving, daily driving, getting wife and kids somewhere, etc., etc.) but its not great at any specific points besides going sideways. The BoxsterS it very great at steering, braking, handling, etc. but could do with more power and an LSD. And being a small 2-seater it is limited in its use.

If I have to choose owning just one car I would get the M3. Its very good at a lot of things and the perfect compromise. Already owning a normal family car and getting a second fun car the M3 comes last after the BoxsterS and EVO.

Mark.

Last edited by markk; 10-06-2007 at 01:01 PM.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote