View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
dj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chig
I have the same problem. I have a 03 boxster as well. It doesn't seem to be a serious issue since it's not setting off any light on the dash. It only happens at idle...or at least that's the only time I can hear it. It sounds as if the exhaust pipes are cooling down and the metal is contracting...but that's not the case since it goes way when I turn the car off.

Most have told me its bad cats but it just passed emissions so I don't think that's the problem. I just got my extended warranty so I'll take it in soon. To me, it's not a big deal. Hopefully someone had this issue in the past.

I had the same problem. My car passed emissions, no problem. When we put pressure against different parts of the exhaust the intermittent rattle would go away. First we removed a cat heat shield but the noise persisted. Finally had my mechanic methodically check each piece of the exhaust until he narrowed it down to the front pass. cat. It wasn't completely defective(Porsche wouldn't warranty), but replacing it totally got rid of the rattle. Expensive...but no more problem.
dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote