View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #14
trube78

A few thoughts?

You have 18" sport classic I wheels with 15mm spacers all around and the standard sport suspension (i.e. not the ROW) --- is that correct?

If so:

1. How good are your spacers? I have seen a few shoddy ones that are off in thickness by a fair bit -- not 15mm thick all the way around. If so your wheel alignment will never be right. Are they hub centric? Are they installed correctly?
2. What did you align to, USA or ROW specs? If you have the USA sport suspension the specs are the same as standard. But if it is ROW, the specs are different. Did the alignment shop realize you had spacers on? Did they have the correct specs?
3. Did you replace the lug bolts with longer ones when you installed the spacers? With 15 mm spacers you should be using 60 MM lugs I am guessing. Or they could be spacers with lugs attached?
4. How old are the tires? Wear on the inside only is usually a sign of an allignment problem negative camber. If you changed tire pressure to get more even wear and the tires were really thrashed on the insides, that could cause the vibration.

I would probably do the following in order followed by a decent test drive:
1. Remove a few lug nuts to ensure they were 60mm and have the cones. Then retorque them all to 96 FT-LBs. Torque every other bolt till all five are done -- first go to 80, then 85, then 90, then 96.
2. Remove the spacers -- fronts then rears. 15mm in front are pretty thick (IMO) -- I think 5 or 7 are more common with a stock wheel.
3. Realign and rebalance all wheels. Ensure the appropriate specs are used for the suspension ROW or US Sport.
4. Check/replace the front tires.

Tire rack has the linked chart that is more detailed with a few more options ... steps 1 and 2 above are free so what the heck (unless you need new lug bolts)

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/vibechart.pdf

Hope this helps.
ATB,
Tom

Last edited by trube78; 10-01-2007 at 11:40 PM.
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote