View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
williamsF1

I had a lot of considerations about this before I upgraded my 8-bit to a 16-bit, and by that choose to keep my PCM-1 system.

First of all I like the onboard computer and the very nicely integrated phone system. I think the sound quality from speaking handsfree is still good and I have good connection with my PCM-1 solution. My mobile phone just diverts the call and this works just fine for me.

Secondly I have still not seen a aftermarket solution that didn't catch the eye as a bit out of context, even though I have seen very nice extra-frame solutions that almost made it OEM looking. But these solutions are also both pricy and require some installation skills.

But for me the winning arguement was the fact that with a PCM-1 16bit you can actually use 2007/2008 cards from NavTeq (Opel CD's). I made a topic about this some months ago on this forum because I was very exicted with the result. PCM1 is perhaps a bit outdated but with a upgraded navi cd reader, 6-cd changer and a iPod connection I think it is the best solution, at least if you already have PCM in your car.

I removed the phone and replaced it with a ProClip from Brodit for my iPod. The 4 holes from the phone fits the ProClip perfectly and it looks very integrated in the car.

The A/C menu is useless though, the seperate displays on the 1-DIN A/C unit is fine having the temp. written with a large font-size doesn't make any difference.
williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote