View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
KevinH1990

PCM-1 (Porsche Communication Management)

I'm considering the purchase of a used PCM-1 removed from a 1999 Carrera. I've searched and read just about every post on several forums and I'm still a bit uncertain. Will someone review the information gathered from my research and let me know if I am on the right track with my thinking and answer my remaining questions?

1. The PCM is an 8-bit unit (confirmed by the seller), so new maps aren't available.
2. The PCM from a 99 Carrera will work in my 2000 Boxster. (Both cars are non-MOST.)
3. The PCM may or may not be "plug and play" depending on the relative configuration of the cars involved. I have the on-board computer if that helps.
4. I will need to buy a new navigation antenna. Are these available? What do they cost?
5. I will need to buy a CD-changer cable. Are these available? What do they cost?
6. Will the PCM have to be activated by the dealer after I install it?
7. I will have to relocate my climate control unit, but this is a straightforward job and the parts needed are relatively inexpensive.

I have the Becker CD-220 with the "peeling button/sticky knob" problem and was thinking that the used PCM might be a nice upgrade. I figure it will cost about $125 to service the Becker and I could use that money to defray some of the cost of the PCM. However, it is beginning to look like the installation of the PCM could be tricky and involve some hidden costs. Also, most folks seem to favor an aftermarket unit.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote