Thread: Racing School
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Grizzly

At trackside, you discuss an exercise and then practice what you learned. Once you have it down, you come in, have your questions answered and move on to the next discussion and drill. If a student is having difficulty with any part of it, he is called in to the pits and it is discussed in greater detail. An instructor only rides with you if necessary. I think there was an excellent balance of instruction and driving experience.

The first day was all about balance and line. We worked on threshold braking, avoidance exercises, etc. There was no discussion of rev match downshifting. That's probably in a later level. Most helpful for me was a walk of the entire track, with the instructors, to discuss braking, turn-in, apexes, etc, while actually standing there looking through the turns. Before lunch we did 28 laps of Mother Goose to solidify the morning's lessons. Each lap got progressively faster until we were moving through at a pretty good clip. After lunch, was open session for the rest of the day, but no passing.

Day two was mainly about learning to pass. One exercise that was nerve-racking but helpful was lapping as fast as we could without using the brakes.

During a discussion of braking, turning and contact patches, one of the instructors recommended open wheel schools, like you've done, because you can really see how you are affecting the balance of the car, just by observing the front suspension. I think I may try it at some point.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote