View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #15
Cris

Send a message via ICQ to Cris Send a message via AIM to Cris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Wow, I'm surprised you were able to get fade with the HP+ pads. While not full-on race pads, they are very agressive. Are you on R-comps? I don't have much experience with Boxsters, but am surprised with such nice OEM brakes, great pads and fluid, and a lightweight car you'd be able to realize such fade.
Show's what I know, I guess....
Don't forget, driving style has a lot to do with brakes performance as well. The longer one stays on the brakes, the more heat they generate. That ultimately results in brake fade and/or fluid boil. Doing well in threshold braking helps minimize wear on the brakes system. Try talking to other drivers about their brake pad consumption - how many days of track driving can they get out of a set of pads. I still have a set of race pads (SBS brand I got from TireRack, tho they don't sell them anymore) in storage with probably 40% life on them after ~ 8 days (IIRC) of 4 sessions @ Watkins Glen - a fairly fast track.

This is my experience with Boxster (base) brakes is on my '98 Audi A4 Quattro (~3200lbs) with the K04 turbo (~235HP). I've never experience brake fade, and very rarely do I have ABS kick in.

2 laps @ the Glen in the A4
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote