View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
navpat1

navpat back with more

Well, I took the car back, they listened to me, agreed with the mechanical vs. tires customer diagnosis and their stethoscope pointed to the diff. bearings. Draining the oil, they found enough metal to build a new mainshaft. Once inside they found no bearing or synchro wear but replaced every bearing in the housing and thoroughly cleaned and flushed everything. One week later I picked up the car and drove away (having paid nothing) with the top down. Putting the top up as the day got hotter I heard an unwelcome but familiar sound. It's no worse and no better so I'm just going to drive these Pirelli Assymetrico's off the wheels so I can buy new tires. Since swerving causes no change in sound, and it's really loud in a tunnel, I'm at this point inclined to blame the minor cupping on the rear tires. If it is wheel bearings I'll just bite the bullet because, although the car has had me to the dealer more than I would like, they have been fair with me and the car is just so dang fun to drive that it's worth it. I haven't had this much fun with engine noise since I owned a brand new '68 Z-28 Camaro ($3,558). Thanks to all for your posts. See you next problem! PB
navpat1 is offline   Reply With Quote