View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
orange260z

Hey all,

I bought my 2001 Boxster in Dallas when I was living in Ottawa in May of 2006. I bought from a Porsche Dealer (Park Place) who was very helpful through the whole process.

The car I purchased was one that they had sold new, serviced, and bought back on trade after 5 years so I was able to get a complete history from them. Also, the car only had 11K miles on it so that helped.

I had them send me all the pics, along with all the requested info via email. I then gave them a significant deposit with a credit card, with a purchase contract signed conditional on my final inspection in person (deposit fully refundable if I was not completely satisfied). I drove 3hrs to Syracuse NY, where I picked up a $100 flight to Dallas.

Car was great, and I concluded the deal with a USD bank draft for the balance of funds. They threw a temp permit on the car (I had already arranged for insurance through my existing co), and off we went.

At the border, I drove through the US side straight to the Cdn side, where I had to pay Duty, GST, and Air Excise Tax as well as a $200 RIV fee. I had then legally imported the vehicle into Canada, but hadn't exported it from the US. I then drove back to the US side and left them my original registration for 72 hours. After 72 hours, I went back, they stamped it exported, and the whole legal trx was complete! I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have COMPLETE confidence that there will be no issue with the title, as the Cdn duties are non-refundable and you are screwed if there is a problem.

To register the car in Ontario, I had to get the Cdn Tire RIV inspection done (paid the $200 fee at the border), safety check, e-test, and pay PST at the time of registration.

That was it, and I saved myself about $7-10K off the going rate for a Boxster in Ontario at the time. About a year and a half later, I have about 26k miles on the car and a permanent ear-to-ear grin on my face!!!

cheers,

Ayan
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7L Tiptronic - Lapis Blue Metallic (gone)
orange260z is offline   Reply With Quote