View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #13
mikefocke

Maintenance costs are high, so is enjoyment

30k service is around $800, 60k is around $1000 but you can reduce those costs by doing many of the trivial things yourself.

A oil change is around $150 but the cost to do it yourself is around $60. Highest quality oil but done only every 15k.

There are entire web sites devoted to do-it-yourself instructions with pictures of how to do things.

Parts can be bought from dealers who discount on-line, the same parts catalogs the dealers use are available on line of for download. And many parts are generic parts for which the OEM equivalent is available at 50% of the local dealer's price.

Reliable? Mine has averaged $10 per month in unscheduled maintenance costs. It has never had a breakdown that left me stranded.

There are web sites of Boxster/Cayman owners who will go out of their way to help you. here and www.ppbb.com and www.renntech.org. There is also a Boxster racing board if you decide to get serious in improving your ability to drive the car. For most of us, the car's capabilities vastly exceed our ability to drive the car.

I used my '01 for several years as a daily driver to work, to the grocery store, on any errand that allowed me to drive it. I'll confess to parking it for 2 months of the year when snow was on the ground. More to preserve it and because I wanted summer tires and didn't want the expense of all-weather tires since I had another car/suv. Now I am retired, it is strictly a "toy car".

The two trunks make it practical. A set of golf clubs fit in the back.

In all, an enjoyable car.

Don't be scared of problem reports. On any enthusiast's board, you'll hear of problems. The ones with problems don't post, they are out driving.

Tips on Buying a 986
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote