View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #52
chpanther69

Send a message via AIM to chpanther69
Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
so what's the process for painting these damaged areas? prime / paint the damaged area and clear entire panel? or do you sand all the paint off of the entire panel & paint the whole panel?

i'm familiar with painting 'new' stuff, but always wondered how they spot repair. i'm assuming they repair the damaged area, blend the color w/ surrounding paint, and clear the whole panel. do they rough up the surface of the entire panel before clear, or does it stick well to the factory color? thanks.
yes you can spot paint the damaged areas, and yea you got the technique down pretty good. you just rough up the rest with 1500 grit sandpaper and water, then spray the primer on the damaged part and then paint it. you have to "feather edge" the new paint into the existing paint to get it to blend together. then you clear the whole thing. altho i know some people who only clear the part they need to. but for my project i think im going to just paint the whole car, so i will have to sand down or scuff the entire surface to get the new paint to stick.
chpanther69 is offline   Reply With Quote